In ancient times Pollachi was known as ‘Pollil Vaichi’ which means “The land of natural Wealth and Prosperity” or ‘Porull Aatchi’ (The Land of Wealthy Government). In olden days it was said that everything is sold and bought in market including elephants in a form of barter system.During the period of Kulottunga Chola III , Pollachi was known as Mudi Konda Chola Nallur (Crowned King). The Subramanyar temple is one of the most ancient temple in Pollachi with a history of about 8 centuries back. You can also come across the name ‘Pollil Vaichi’ in Lord Subramanyar temple. It is also believed that this temple was once a Shiva temple, enshrining Agastheeswaram Udaiyaar, with the festival idol Subramanyar.
A temple dedicated to Mariamman and another to Subramanya are located here. There are beautiful stone carvings like a five hooded serpent, a Yali with a chain from its mouth and carved zodiacal signs in the Subramanya temple.This town is about 40 Kms from Coimbatore on the way to Parambikulam - Aliyar Project. Next to Coimbatore it is the leading town of the district and an important commercial centre.
History of Pollachi
Originally Coimbatore district formed part ond that in early days the area was inhabited by tribes, the most predominant among them being the Kosars who are reported to have had their headquarters at Kosampathur which probably later became the present Coimbatore. However, tribal predominance did not last long as they were over-run by the Rashtra Kutas. From Rashtrakutas the region fell into the hands of the Cholas who were in prominence at the time of Raja Raja Chola. On the decline of Cholas the Kongu territory was occupied by the Chalukyas and then by the Pandyas and the cysalas. Due to internal strife in the Pandyan kingdom the Muslim rulers from Delhi happened to interfere. Thus the area fell into the hands of Madurai Sultanate from whom the Vijayanagar rulers wrestled for the region during 1377-78 after overthrowing the Madurai Sultanate. For a few years the area remained under independent control of Madurai Nayaks. During the period of Muthu Veerappa Nayak and later during the period of Tirumal Nayak internal strife and intermittent wars ruined the kingdom. As a consequence during the period of Tirumal Nayak, the Kongu region fell into the hands of the Mysore rulers from whom hyder Ali took over the area. However, consequent on the fall of Tippu Sultan of Mysore in 1799, the Kongu region came to be ceded to the East India Company by the Maharaja of Mysore who was restored to power by the East India Company after defeating Tippu Sultan. From then till 1947 when India attained Independence, the region remained under British control who initiated systematic revenue administration in the area.